So, in my first few days back here in Chicago, I was on the apartment hunt, and wandered over to Montrose Avenue. Not a normal hangout for me, but a very cute and intriguing neighborhood for sure. There on Montrose is a huge art school or commune of some kind. I’ve never paid too much attention to it, but as I walked by, I saw the most interesting art installation:
Three simple words:
Before I die….
and it got me thinking. What would I do before I die? I immediately thought of the scene from Fight Club where Tyler Durden is driving the Cadillac, and he asks the other passengers, “What have you always wanted to do before you die?” The only reply that I recall is one guy in the back says “Build a house!”
If you asked me that question 10 years ago, it would’ve been so much different from even 5 years later, which would’ve been so much different from today. However, of course, there would be overlap. However, life has changed, I have changed, and so have many of my desires. I begin by thinking I can’t even fathom all of the things I’d like yet to do before I die…however, I then think “Man, I’ve done so much, I think if I died tomorrow I wouldn’t have any regrets, I’m pretty damn content…I’ve done pretty damn good.”
But, I suppose there is so much more yet to do. Things to do before I die:
- Take my daughters to Disney World
- Travel to Brazil to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 1 OTHER country other than Brazil or the United States
- Visit every continent on the globe
- Visit Japan
- Visit the UK
- Get my doctorate
- See the Grand Canyon with my own eyes
- Learn to play “Hey Joe” on guitar.
- Get married (just so I can tell my grandkids I did it)
- Visit Las Vegas (preferably before I get married)
I know there’s so much I’m forgetting, and perhaps I will update this post as time and idea allow. But now, I pose to you, the reader(s)…..